Saturday 2 January 2016

January 2 - Goose Fat Chicken, Garlic Roast Potatoes - WOW!

Ok, so I technically cooked this on the 1st January in between doing Peppa Pig and Thomas the Tank Engine Puzzles. As you do.

So a bright spark (Marketing extraordinaire and my best friend Sarah Benton), has suggested I let you know (on the basis someone is reading this) the book I am cooking from.  Well it is the fabulous Nigel Slater's the Kitchen Diaries III - A Year of Good Eating, link here to the book... http://www.nigelslater.com/the-kitchen-diaries-volume-iii-_bk_36

So on page 4 is the recipe and the finished article is meant to look like this...



Sarah suggested more pictures, probably more interesting than my ramblings.

My bird pre roast, fairly plump and rubbed in goose fat and pepper.  Due to the fact my nearly two year old will be eating this with us, we will add salt at the table.  If this was a proper grown up supper (which it totally is) I would, like the recipe says, use salt during cooking. My spuds I steamed as I felt like I could better control the the cooking process and mushed up the sides by giving a good shake.  I also let them cool slightly in front of an open window.  Theory being the colder the spud against the hot spud the greater the explosion.  Think a hot apple crumble with freezing vanilla ice cream (I hope that is in the book...)



At the point I added the spuds, I stuck my knife (the thinnest global knife (other brands available)) into various parts of the chicken and gave it a good baste, probably including a good dose of my own drool, it smells amazing at this point.  I also cut the garlic cloves and dotted around as my pan is not as big as Nigel's (pan) and did not allow me to do it like it did in the book.  Mine also has grooves and, for once, I think it is the only time in life when it is not good to be groovy.  I really can't think of another...

Right, so the chicken comes out before the roasties go for an extra crisp up (drools some more).  The smell of the house at this point is immense and my husband, son and I fight for the chicken skin, scolding our mouths as we go.



The finished article was amazing.  I could not bring myself to pour gravy over it, the chicken is so moist and does not need it.  I was also worried it would make my lovely spuds soggy.  Instead we served with a good dollop of good quality shop bought dijonnaise (although just as easy to make your own).

Voila, a thoroughly restorative supper on new's day, thank you Nigel.  I will always cook my chicken this way from now on, delicious.  Drools some more...



JaniecooksNigel

2/1/16


No comments:

Post a Comment